Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 17 - February 15, 2010 - We Begin Anew

Pokara to Hille

We woke up at 7:50 to meet Khem and the rest of the crew for breakfast. I had the "American Breakfast." Which was sausage patties and links, hotdogs, bacon, ham, and smothered in gravy with extra grease on the side for dipping. Actually, I don't remember what it was and never wrote it in my journal, so I'll just create that memory.

We took a taxi to get our new permits to enter the Annapurna Circuit area again. There were lots of other tourists there, it was really hectic and unorganized trying to get in there and apply. We were pretty early so we didn't have to wait that long. I had about 10 pictures of myself, for permits and stuff, but I left them all in Kathmandu because I didn't think we'd have to turn back and not be able to use the original permit again. I ended up getting gouged for two pictures from a local photo place. I still have those pictures in my wallet actually. I have a massive beard and long hair and have that dazed "I'm back in society for the first time in a week" look.








Sujan met us after one of his appointments and we went back to the hotel. We sorted out what gear we were going to leave, we weren't going to be hitting any snow and were going to be able to ride most of the way to the end. We threw our stuff that we wanted to leave in a massive bag that Khem had and had it stored somewhere at the hotel.

A jeep came at noon and we drove to the trailhead. We started our hike around 2:30 and stopped after an hour or so to have these thick skinned oranges. No one knew the English word for them. We had them with chili powder and sugar. I also downed a Coke, the place we were in was accessible by a road so I thought that (hopefully) the bottle wouldn't just be thrown in a nearby ravine.

We hiked until 5:30, stopping in Hille. We had fresh popcorn and tea for a snack, while taking turns waiting for a gas heated shower. I caught up on my writing too. Dinner was veggie momos and a whey drink that was like really thick milk and had a sour tang to it. Looks like tomorrow is going to be a bit difficult, we have to climb 1,300 meters (4,265 ft.) in elevation.








No comments:

Post a Comment