Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 6 - February 4, 2010 - The Rooster and Pizza Hut

Go to Day 5
Go to Day 7

 Shortly after waking up I found out that the plan for the morning was to butcher the rooster. Khem took the rooster into the bathroom with some bowls and a gas burner. He was holding the live rooster down on the floor and I looked away for a split second; I wasn't really sure what he was doing or going to do, but when I looked back the head was off and he was collecting the blood in a bowl.


The burner went on and the rooster went right into the flames to sear off the feathers. The char from the burned feathers were collected in a bowl as well. The head was also seared. The guts were mixed with the collected blood and char to make a special dish that is specific to Khem's region and family. The rest of the bird was chopped up, bones and all and made into another curry dish. The Kukri knife made short work the bones.
















Fire rooster



Chopping rooster



I've been feeling the five days of healthy food, I'm definitely having food withdrawal. I've felt hungry with a full stomach a lot lately and feeling fatigued, it's getting better, it's just a different feeling. I am really craving peanut butter, vegetable oil, and chocolate. I'm in caffeine withdrawal too.

We stayed at home most of the day and I went to the internet shop and checked some email. Katy called my cell phone and we talked for about 35 minutes. It was really nice to have an extended conversation with someone in my native tongue.

For dinner it was Pizza Hut! I think it's the only one in Nepal. It was ok, my body is getting used to low sodium, low fat food so it didn't taste that great. Khem's sons love fashion and we went to a few shops after dinner. Khem bought some KFC to bring back for his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment